Historic Ships in Baltimore is a vital and growing institution located in the heart of Baltimore's Inner Harbor. The organization is steward of the Sloop-of-War USS Constellation, U.S. Coast Guard Cutter WHEC-37, Submarine USS Torsk, Lightship 116 Chesapeake, and the Seven Foot Knoll Lighthouse. This stewardship includes managing the collections related to these mega-artifacts, and preserving and interpreting the history of these sites. The Museum plays a key role in the heritage and cultural landscape within the City of Baltimore and strives to raise awareness throughout Maryland and the United States of these important elements of our nation's history.
"The mission of Historic Ships in Baltimore is to honor and perpetuate the legacy of dedicated service given by the U.S. Sloop-of-War Constellation, U.S. Coast Guard Cutter WHEC-37, U.S. Submarine Torsk, Lightship 116 Chesapeake, Seven Foot Knoll Lighthouse and their respective crews. The Museum achieves this mission through the historical interpretation, restoration and preservation of these revered symbols of our maritime heritage while acting as a cultural and educational resource for the community."
Historic Ships in Baltimore also includes the following tenets to be applied to the mission:
- Museum staff will work professionally and responsibly as a team, and be committed to quality and timely results.
- All museum work, including planning, interpretation, exhibit development, collections management, and accessioning of artifacts will be done according to professional museum standards.
- The Museum will strive to meet the needs of the members of the education community as well as the general public regarding the interpretation of the ship's past and related histories.
- Restoration and preservation work will be performed in accordance with the Secretary of the Interior's Standards for Historic Vessel Preservation Projects.
- Living history portrayals of individuals and crew activities will be performed to the highest standards of accuracy in accordance with museum best practices.
- The Museum will strive to be a source of civic pride and stand as a symbol and centerpiece for the City of Baltimore.
This mission is to be achieved in a work environment that recognizes that one of the Museum's most valuable resources is its staff and volunteers and their combined dedication to advancing the institution's mission.